Saturday, July 14, 2012

Boyd's Law of Iteration

I'm reading Jeff Atwood's Blog to Book, Effective Programming: More Than Writing Code and really enjoying it.  Straight away it's informative and inspiring.

I'd like to comment Boyd's Law of Iteration though, as it struck me as not quite right.

Jeff states Boyd's Law of Iteration as "the speed of iteration beats quality of iteration" but I think the mechanism is more evolutionary than that - it's to make trial and error as fast and inexpensive as possible.  I don't think quality has much to do with it.

Trial and error is a groping search, so it's relevant when the environment is dynamic or when the next move is unknown.  This is life.  As soon as we think we've arrived at our destination or solved all our problems, we'll stop moving and sink into the shifting sands.

In fact, I often hear the guiding question, “what problem are we trying to solve?” but I think this is not necessarily a good starting point.  Apple aren’t solving any problems, they’re showing us goods and services we didn't know we wanted.

Let’s not be lead by market fit, let’s be misfits and lead the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment